Students pursuing a minor in Korean must complete a minimum of 15 credit hours of Korean coursework which must also include the requirements outlined below.
For students who matriculated in Fall 2019 and thereafter:
- Language Study: Students must complete at least two semesters of language study beyond the first-year level or the equivalent. For heritage speakers with competency beyond the second-year level, the completion of one semester of Advanced Korean will satisfy the language requirement for the minor. Advanced Korean may be repeated for credit and applied toward the minor.
- Literature and Culture: One upper-division 3-credit course in Asian literature and culture taught by EALC faculty, or in the event of a Korea-related course outside the Department, by a member of the Notre Dame faculty. Ideally, this course should have a strong Korean component. University seminars do not satisfy this requirement.
- Additional Courses: Remaining credits may be completed by taking Korean language courses beyond the second-year level and regular 3-credit courses designated as LLEA at the 30000 level and above.
For students who matriculated before Fall 2019:
Language Study: Students must complete at least two semesters of the language or the equivalent, beyond the first year.
- 10000-level language courses do not count toward a major, supplementary major, or minor.
- Students are allowed to use a maximum of 1 credit from language reading courses beyond the first-year level to fulfill the requirements of the minor in Korean.
- Students with grades lower than B- are not advised to proceed to the next level.
- Literature and Culture: At least one upper-division 3-credit course taught by EALC faculty. University seminars do not satisfy this requirement.
Checklist For Korean Minors
- Completion of two semesters of Korean beyond the first year or its equivalent
- One upper-division 3-credit course in East Asian literature and culture taught by EALC faculty
- A total of 15 credits
Questions? Please contact our DUS, Prof. Michael Brownstein.