Students pursuing a minor in Korean must complete a minimum of 15 credit hours of Korean coursework which must also include the requirements outlined below.
For students who matriculated in Fall 2019 and thereafter:
- Language Study: Students must complete at least two semesters of language study beyond the first-year level or the equivalent. For heritage speakers with competency beyond the second-year level, the completion of one semester of Advanced Korean will satisfy the language requirement for the minor. Advanced Korean may be repeated for credit and applied toward the minor.
- Literature and Culture: One upper-division 3-credit course in Asian literature and culture taught by EALC faculty, or in the event of a Korea-related course outside the Department, by a member of the Notre Dame faculty. Ideally, this course should have a strong Korean component. University seminars do not satisfy this requirement.
- Additional Courses: Remaining credits may be completed by taking Korean language courses beyond the second-year level and regular 3-credit courses designated as LLEA at the 30000 level and above.
*Courses taken for Pass/Fail do not count toward the Korean minor.
Checklist For Korean Minors
- Completion of two semesters of Korean beyond the first year or its equivalent
- One upper-division 3-credit course in East Asian literature and culture taught by EALC faculty
- A total of 15 credits
Questions? Please contact our DUS, Prof. Xian Wang.